Thursday, September 17, 2009

Foreign language is no more?

     The article I have read describes how schools are cutting back on foreign language teaching positions. A school in Arlington, New York, there was a loss of the foreign language teaching positions in its middle, which includes Spanish and French. Because of the budget cuts, its seventh grade German language program was also cut out. In New Jersey, the Ridgewood district is replacing three elementary school Spanish teachers with Rosetta Stone, which is an interactive computer program which helps students learn a language.

This picture shows children using Rosetta Stone in their classroom.  Personally, I believe it is a shame for the schools not keeping their foreign language teachers.  I think it's better for student to be taught from people, not computers.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that being taught by teachers is a lot better. I think it would be really difficult to be taught a language by a computer. I know that some students at Watertown High are using that program because the regular classes don't fit into there schedule.

    ReplyDelete