Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Females on Submarines (Midterm Assignment)


Just a couple weeks ago Admiral Gary Roughead, Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), proposed that the ban on females working submarines be lifted. This has been a policy that the Navy has been trying to change. The CNO believes that a more diverse crew would help the Navy force move forward.
I agree with the fact that women are able to perform the same tasks as men just as well in the submarine force. It is has always been seen that women are less capable than men militarily and I do not agree with that. I believe women should be allowed to serve on submarines.
Women on submarines could be a problem though. Navy officials are worried that there will be a rise in sexual harassment cases. Subs are small and space is tight. Most of the time, sailors have to share bunks and this could be a big problem with females in the submarine. However, there are some renovations plans being looked into if the women on submarines ban is lifted. This would cost millions of dollars though.
In my most honest opinion though, the Navy should keep things the way they are. The old adage "don't fix something that isn't broken" perfectly fits this situation. I say keep the ban and save the headache and money on something more important. No offense, I just don't see this issue as a major concern at all.

Here is the link to the original article on Navytimes.com



Written by Kevin Phu


5 comments:

  1. Hi Kev, I like your post. So... yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Kevin, in my opinion, I think females should be allowed to serve on a submarine if it is something they are passionate about and willing to accomplish. Everyone should be given a fair chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand why they aren't allowed but I have to agree that it's ridiculous. The men might get distracted and mess something up despite all their training. It's unfair and not right, but understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice of subject matter. It is a sensitive topic that warrants much debate and discussion. I agree with points on both side of the argument, which you presented very well.
    Perhaps this is an area you can explore in more detail once you talk to other NAVY officers and are on the ship yourself!
    B
    (one day late)

    ReplyDelete