Thursday, November 4, 2010

Media Matters Conference


On Thursday November 4, 2010 I attended the media matters conference. This conference was held at the UMass- Boston campus. This conference was aimed to help and teach high school students with many different areas in journalism and broadcasting. I attended a few workshops. One was called "Teaching Generation Text to Talk on TV". This was taught by Jimmy Myers, a former sportscaster from various networks. He know runs a company that helps kids get into the broadcasting business. Also, Bob Halloran was also there. He is the current sportscaster for channel 5 news. I got a chance to talk with Mr. Halloran about reporting sports and he gave me some very helpful insight.
I also took a workshop called "Preparing for a Job in Broadcast". Th=is was taught but current Fox news anchor Mark Ockerbloom. He told us his story of his journey though the world of broadcasting and how he ended up where he is today. He also showed us some clips of him broadcasting different styles of stories. Such as, field reporting, in studio reporting, hard news, soft news and debates.
Overall, I enjoyed my time there and it really helped me because I would like to pursuit a career in broadcasting. And for anyone else interested in broadcasting, I would suggest taking Ms. O'Grady's journalism class, Ms. Ventura's TV & News Production class, and going to this conference in upcoming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment