Saturday, November 27, 2010

Teen Digital Exposure


I thought this article was very true regarding how teenagers interact with media and their relation to homework. I feel as if teens are addicted to their electronics. Even though in our high school electronics are banned, if you walked through to halls you would never know it. You see ipods, headphones, and cell phones all being used. So this article came to no real surprise to me.

I use a lot of media, especially while doing homework. I am actually listening to music from Youtube at the moment while doing this assignment. I do feel that media sometimes gets in the way of homework.

Overall, I watch TV, text, listen to my ipod, play on my itouch and play Xbox 360. Sometimes it will take me longer to finish my homework because I stop every few minutes to change a song.  Or I will rush through my work because one of my friends just texted me to play a video game with them via X Box 360. Or I will try to do my homework in the one minute intermissions between games.

I would say that I am exposed to a lot of media when I am home. This is because when I have school or sports, I can't use any electronics. But when I am at home,  I'm always either texting, listening to music, on the computer or watching TV. Many times I'm having multiple of these things going on at once. I would say that my habits parallel the ones described in the article.

Click here to read: Growing Up Online, Wired for Distraction

1 comment:

  1. OK+

    Derek, you could have taken a bit more time on this response. First off you have a few grammar issues (like not capitalizing your I's) and you didn't post the link. Also you barely referred to the article or characters from the article.

    However, you had some thoughtful points regarding media usage. I especially enjoyed this sentence: "Even though in our high school electronics are banned, if you walked through to halls you would never know it."

    I agree that one would never know that electronics are banned walking through our hallways. In wonder if there is a better way to implement the policy while integrating mobile devices into the classroom. Any suggestions?
    Ms. V

    ReplyDelete