Monday, November 29, 2010

"Wired For Distraction" Response


This article also applies to my life because everything I do at my house relates to media multi-tasking. I find it funny how grown ups now can be shocked and surprised on how kids in this generation can use so much media objects at once than before. But, I think the more they keep making better media software, the more us kids/teens get stuck to it.



Usually when I get home I immediately put on the T.V. and at the same time use my cell phone to text people or listen to my ipod. To be honest I can't remember the last time I've done my homework at home without any media in my face, but at the same time that would easily describe the reason why my grades look like they do now.
The days I can remember doing my homework at home with very little distractions was a better process for me school-wise. I think if I deduct my media usage during homework time, I would receive much better grades than I receive now but at the same time it would definitely be a hard thing to do in a teen's perspective. I would also go to sleep a little earlier than I normally do now without using the internet in between those hours at home.

Lastly, video games also play a huge role in my media time at home because I am a video game machine most times and I won't back down from playing them during a school night, yet once I finally shut off the system later in the night,  I am usually tired then so I take a shower and go to bed without even thinking about homework.

Compared to my media usage, my homework hours are VERY little to none at home and you can obviously blame the media for that, but I think EVERY kid/student should have a period at school to complete as much homework as they can so when they arrive home later they won't have to worry so much about how much homework they have to complete before the next day. The problem though is that not every kid has a period to do homework so it wouldn't be fare to those kids that don't have a free homework time because they have to complete more homework at home than the kids with those periods.


I found the article a bit interesting because it gave me a better sight on different people's views on media usage for teens now days, and a better understanding on how serious this topic is in the world currently. I wouldn't really say it fully convinced me of watching my media hours during school but it sure did give me an idea or a thought of how to handle those hours on a smarter level. To read the article click here, and to watch the video, click here

1 comment:

  1. Good +

    Moses, nice and honest reflection regarding your media use. You have a few grammatical issues and I would have liked a few more references from the article, but otherwise, nice reflection.

    Your sentence "to be honest I can't remember the last time I've done my homework at home without any media in my face but at the same time that would easily describe what my grades look like now" was really powerful and I hope you continue to look at your media use in this manner.

    Also, being a video game junky definitely doesn't help with getting your homework done, but at least you are aware of it now!

    Perhaps knowing more about your media use in relation to your homework habits can help as you move forward and eventually make your way to college.

    The media/work balance is one that will carry you through for the rest of your life. It requires a lot of self-knowledge and discipline to get it right. Looks like you are on your way!

    Ms. V

    ReplyDelete